The Diocesan Northern Virginia Junior Catholic Youth Organization (NVJCYO) provides sports leagues which are an important component of comprehensive youth ministry in our parishes. If you are a parent, young adult, college age and a high school player we would like to talk with you about how you can coach with Nativity Star! It is a great responsibility to coach our youth and serve in sports ministry.
Responsibilities of a CYO Coach
- Coaches are responsible to know and be an example of the CYO Mission and Philosophy as they represent the Diocese of Arlington.
- Coaches are required to attend annual pre-season coaches meetings and identified training sessions.
- Coaches are responsible to teach the rules of the sport and the proper skills, techniques, strategies, and tactics for their sport in an age appropriate manner.
- Coaches are responsible to conduct themselves in an appropriate fashion at practice and competitions, to wear required credentials and to be in accordance with Bylaw 8.
- Coaches are responsible for supervision of their team at practice and competitions. Coaches are also responsible for the conduct of their spectators at competitions.
- Coaches must be represented at all scheduled practices, games and other events.
- Coaches may not hold “closed practices”. Parents, CYO leaders, and Parish leadership may attend practices and contests and are expected to demonstrate behaviors that uphold the mission, values, and best practices of CYO.
- It is recommended and encouraged to have women acting as head or assistant coaches in girls’ sports. When a girl’s team is coached by men only, it is required that a woman 18 years of age or older be associated with the team, and in attendance at all practices and games. In the case of a woman coaching a boys team, it is required that a man 18 years of age or older be associated with the team, and is in attendance at all practices and games.
- Must be 25 years of age or older, interview with CYO Rep and/or Director of Youth Ministry
- Compliant with Diocesan Child Protection Policies
- Complete a Concussion Awareness and Training
- Attend Coach Training/Train the Trainer
Assistant Coaches – High School Students
- Must be 16 years of age or older & have three references, interview with CYO Rep and/or Director of Youth Ministry
If you are interested or have any questions please email the us at firstname.lastname@example.org